Would you like to use the healing power of music to help people? On our programme, you will develop music therapy skills and learn about the latest therapy concepts.
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- 4 Semesters
- Full time
- 120 ECTS
- only winter semester
- winter semester
Your course content What you will learn
Music therapy and other arts therapies are increasingly popular in healthcare, and the research base for these fields is growing. The degree programme in Music Therapy takes a total of two years, including an intensive placement phase. The range of classes includes practical music lessons, therapy techniques and scientific content. We focus on music therapy in psychiatry, psychosomatics, psychotherapy and neurology. In addition, you will learn how to use music in the therapeutic treatment of people in all kinds of life circumstances.
Your career prospects Our innovative approach that pays off
The scientific foundations and the methodological and professional skills gained on the Master’s programme in Music Therapy will enable you to work in a clinical, therapeutic or special needs context.
Besides enabling you to work in a variety of practical fields, the Master’s degree in Music Therapy will give you the opportunity to pursue a career in research and work towards a doctorate.
Curriculum Music Therapy (M.A.) Your curriculum
Introduction to therapy sciences6
Introduction to music therapy6
Fundamental instrumental skills6
Clinical psychology I (psychotherapy approaches)6
Clinical psychology II (psychiatry, psychosomatics & psychotherapy)12
Neurology & quantitative research methods6
Basic musical competencies6
Evidence-based clinical practice (pain)6
Assessment & clinical practice with children and adolescents6
Arts therapies and specific applications6
Advanced instrumental skills6
Advanced placement (clinical or research)6
Professionalization, law & ethics14
Admission requirements Our requirements
- A university degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, of at least six semesters’ duration in one of the following disciplines: music/music studies, psychology, medicine, social pedagogy and similar degrees
- Individual exceptions are possible, but require special approval
- Documented proof of good English skills (TOEFL /or similar)
- Personal and artistic eligibility
Please note: applicants will be required to show evidence of knowledge and skills in Western music theory
After we receive your complete application, we will request an audio or video recording. This recording should be a piece of music of your choice, on your main instrument (or voice), and should be shorter than 5 minutes. We will also request an essay outlining your motivation for pursuing this course of study.
We will schedule an online assessment, lasting approximately 45 minutes. The assessment will include: Motivational Interview, Song. A live performance of a song of your choice, accompanying yourself on guitar or piano, Music theory quiz and Ear training.
Fees and Funding Your tuition fees
690 EUR per month full-time + one-time registration fee of 750 EUR (Prices apply only to students from the European Economic Area).
Applicants from Non-EEA countries without permanent residence permit need to pay a tuition fee of 5,100 EUR per semester + one-time registration fee of 1,000 EUR and must pay the tuition fees for one semester in advance. From the second semester onwards the payments for the remaining semesters of study are due six weeks before the end of the period of study already paid for. The payments have to be done semesterwise.
For more information and payment modalities, please refer to the current fee schedules (valid from 01.04.2023):
Fees schedule EEA students
Fees schedule non-EEA students
Apply now Application process and deadlines
We look forward to welcoming you to SRH University Heidelberg very soon.
There are no closing dates for application at our University. This is the application process:
- If you’re interested in our Master’s programme, simply send us your application online.
- If you encounter technical difficulties with the online application or have any questions about your application, your contact person Sarah Grabe will be happy to help you.
- If you meet the admission requirements, we’ll invite you to a selection interview
- If you pass the selection interview, we’ll send you the acceptance letter and the study contract
- You then sign the study contract and return it to us
- You pay the registration fee
- If you come from a non-EU country, you will pay your tuition fee one semester in advance in addition to the registration fee. From the second semester onwards the payments for the remaining semesters of study are due six weeks before the end of the period of study already paid for.
- We then issue your letter of acceptance
- You take part in our Welcome Days – and then embark on your degree programme!
Please note that special conditions apply to applicants from some countries:
From 1st of November 2022, applicants from India will be required to have their documents verified by the Academic Evaluation Centre New Delhi (APS-India) before applying for a visa. After successful verification you will receive a certificate which allows you to initiate the visa process. Please note that the verification process at APS-India is expected to take approximately 4 weeks. We recommend that you apply for the APS certificate at the same time as you apply to SRH University Heidelberg. For more information, go to the APS-India website: www.aps-india.de
The People’s Republic of China
The procedure of the Academic Evaluation Centre of the Cultural Section at the German Embassy in Bejing (Akademische Prüfstelle – APS) must have been successfully completed before you apply. The centre checks documents for authenticity and conducts interviews. The original APS certificate must be enclosed with the application documents. For more information, go to the APS website at: www.aps.org.cn.
Please note that you don’t need to complete the APS procedure if you apply for our 3+1 programmes.
The Academic Evaluation Centre of the German Embassy in Hanoi has been checking the university entrance qualifications of Vietnamese applicants since 2007. The procedure includes checking the submitted written documents as well as an interview with the applicant. An original copy of proof of successful completion of this process, the APS certificate, must be enclosed with the application documents.