- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- 4 Semesters
- Full time
- 120 ECTS
- only winter semester
Would you like to use the healing power of music to help people? On our programme, you will develop music therapy skills and learn about the latest therapy concepts.
- winter semester
Your course content
What you will learn
Music therapy and other arts therapies are increasingly popular in healthcare, and the research base for these fields is growing. The degree programme in Music Therapy takes a total of two years, including an intensive placement phase. The range of classes includes practical music lessons, therapy techniques and scientific content. We focus on music therapy in psychiatry, psychosomatics, psychotherapy and neurology. In addition, you will learn how to use music in the therapeutic treatment of people in all kinds of life circumstances.
Our philosophy is to combine teaching, practice and research under one roof. We will teach you music therapy, musical and psychological/medical course content in an application-oriented way. In the music therapy campus outpatient clinic and during placements, you will have the opportunity to practice and expand on the knowledge and skills gained. You have the option of actively participating in ongoing research projects at the faculty and of exploring your own practice-related research questions in our in-house psychophysiological laboratory.
Your career prospects
Our innovative approach that pays off
The scientific foundations and the methodological and professional skills gained on the Master’s programme in Music Therapy will enable you to work in a clinical, therapeutic or special needs context.
Besides enabling you to work in a variety of practical fields, the Master’s degree in Music Therapy will give you the opportunity to pursue a career in research and work towards a doctorate.
Some of your career perspectives
- Psychosomatics and psychotherapy
- Neurology (early and general rehabilitation)
- Palliative and hospice care
- Intensive medicine centers (for example neonatology, oncology, pain) and sub-acute care facilities
- Psychosocial institutions for children and families with special needs, disabilities and early intervention
- Institutions of prevention and education (e.g., music schools, youth centers, kindergartens)
Research projects are conducted regularly at the School of Therapeutic Sciences. They are organized, carried out and published in close cooperation with universities, research centers and clinical partners. There is a particular interest in research evaluating music therapy treatment, which takes place in the music therapy clinic within the School. Students can collaborate on these projects, provided they have the necessary skills and interest, and can thereby qualify for a career in research. Together with our partners it is possible to offer cooperative doctoral studies.
The skills gained on this Master’s degree can also be transferred to other clinical areas such as forensics, geriatrics or neonatology. Setting up a practice is regulated by law under the Alternative Medical Practitioners Act (HeilprG) and requires a separate state examination (alternative medical practitioner / psychotherapy).
Curriculum Music Therapy (M.A.) Your curriculum
- Introduction to therapy sciences 6
- Introduction to music therapy 6
- Psychology 6
- Fundamental instrumental skills 6
- Clinical psychology I (psychotherapy approaches) 6
- Clinical psychology II (psychiatry, psychosomatics & psychotherapy) 12
- Neurology & quantitative research methods 6
- Basic musical competencies 6
- Clinical placement 6
- Evidence-based clinical practice (pain) 6
- Assessment & clinical practice with children and adolescents 6
- Arts therapies and specific applications 6
- Advanced instrumental skills 6
- Advanced placement (clinical or research) 6
- Professionalization, law & ethics 14
- Master's thesis 16
Join the faculties and Admission Office in an online live session about the upcoming semester!Event
For our 13th SRH International Week we are excited to welcome our partners, and their students, back on Campus Heidelberg. Save the date and join us from 8th – 14th October 2023!Event
- A university degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, of at least six semesters’ duration in one of the following disciplines: music/music studies, psychology, medicine, social pedagogy and similar degrees
- Individual exceptions are possible, but require special approval
- Documented proof of good English skills (TOEFL /or similar)
- Personal and artistic eligibility
Please note: applicants will be required to show evidence of knowledge and skills in Western music theory
After we receive your complete application, we will request an audio or video recording. This recording should be a piece of music of your choice, on your main instrument (or voice), and should be shorter than 5 minutes. We will also request an essay outlining your motivation for pursuing this course of study.
We will schedule an online assessment, lasting approximately 45 minutes. The assessment will include: Motivational Interview, Song. A live performance of a song of your choice, accompanying yourself on guitar or piano, Music theory quiz and Ear training.
Fees and Funding
Your tuition fees
690 EUR per month full-time + one-time registration fee of 750 EUR
Applicants from Non-EEA countries without permanent residence permit need to pay a one-time registration fee of 1,000 EUR and must pay the first year’s tuition fee in advance. From the second year onwards the payments for the remaining years of study have to be made in advance at latest 14 days before the end of the period of study already paid for.
For more information and payment modalities, please refer to the current fee schedule (valid from 01.12.2020).
Application process and deadlines
We look forward to welcoming you to SRH University Heidelberg very soon.
There are no closing dates for application at our University. This is the application process:
- If you’re interested in our Master’s programme, simply send us your application online.
- If you encounter technical difficulties with the online application or have any questions about your application, your contact person Sarah Grabe will be happy to help you.
- If you meet the admission requirements, we’ll invite you to a selection interview
- If you pass the selection interview, we’ll send you the acceptance letter and the study contract
- You then sign the study contract and return it to us
- You pay the registration fee
- If you come from a non-EU country, you will pay your tuition fee one year in advance in addition to the registration fee. From the second year onwards the payments for the remaining years of study have to be made in advance at latest 14 days before the end of the period of study already paid for.
- We then issue your letter of acceptance
- You take part in our Welcome Days – and then embark on your degree programme!
Please note that special conditions apply to applicants from some countries:
From 1st of November 2022, applicants from India will be required to have their documents verified by the Academic Evaluation Centre New Delhi (APS-India) before applying for a visa. After successful verification you will receive a certificate which allows you to initiate the visa process. Please note that the verification process at APS-India is expected to take approximately 4 weeks. We recommend that you apply for the APS certificate at the same time as you apply to SRH University Heidelberg. For more information, go to the APS-India website: www.aps-india.de
The People’s Republic of China
The procedure of the Academic Evaluation Centre of the Cultural Section at the German Embassy in Bejing (Akademische Prüfstelle – APS) must have been successfully completed before you apply. The centre checks documents for authenticity and conducts interviews. The original APS certificate must be enclosed with the application documents. For more information, go to the APS website at: www.aps.org.cn.
Please note that you don’t need to complete the APS procedure if you apply for our 3+1 programmes.
The Academic Evaluation Centre of the German Embassy in Hanoi has been checking the university entrance qualifications of Vietnamese applicants since 2007. The procedure includes checking the submitted written documents as well as an interview with the applicant. An original copy of proof of successful completion of this process, the APS certificate, must be enclosed with the application documents.