„The World is a book and those who do not travel read only one page“
If you are an international exchange student from one of our partner universities, study with us for one or two semesters, dive into a truly international community, live and learn on campus – in the heart of Europe. Discover German traditions, high-tech industries, and beautiful sites all over Europe within 3-5 hours' travel time.
How to apply Your Application Process
Apply for an exchange semester with us at your home university and get nominated. Your university will provide you with all relevant information.
- Nomination: Your home institution contacts SRH University Heidelberg to propose you as candidate for an exchange.
- Application: You apply as a student yourself.
- Registration: Once you are accepted, we will enrol you in the system as an exchange student and you will receive an email with your Wifi ID and your matriculation number
Check with the International Office at your home university first: exchange students must be nominated by their home institution no later than four weeks prior to the application deadline. Your International Office will send your name, citizenship, email address, and study programme directly to us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your nomination will then be acknowledged and processed by the respective faculty in a separate selection procedure.
After you have received a welcoming email from the faculty you selected, you can apply online and upload the necessary documents. The titles of all documents must be formatted as “last name, first name, document name.pdf”
- An official transcript of records or confirmation of courses taken at your home university
- Final school leaving certificate (high school graduation certificate – date, grade)
- One photo (for the student ID card), passport format, .jpg
- A copy of your current passport
- Proof of proficiency in the German or English language (or a letter confirming native German/English proficiency)
- Learning Agreement: Only for non-EU students,
- Erasmus+ students: Please submit your Learning Agreement using the Erasmus+ App only. You have received detailed instructions from your SRH international coordinator in your nomination email.
The respective faculties will inform applicants about the courses open to exchange students. All students – German and international – are offered a variety of foreign language courses (2 ECTS each) free of charge. Courses currently available include French, Spanish, Turkish, Chinese, English, and German of course. English and German are taught at various different levels, so your language skills will be assessed to determine the right level for placement in a class.
- For autumn (beginning at the end of August or beginning on 1 October): 1 July
- For winter (beginning January or February): 1 November
- For spring (beginning on 1 April): 1 February
Instead of teaching in semester-long courses, we have introduced sequential five-week blocks (with intensive study of just one or two subjects during the five-week period). There is no additional exam period, as exams are included within the five weeks. Students usually earn 8 ECTS per block, with 60 ECTS a year.
- Block 1: 1 Oct. – mid Nov.
- Block 2: Mid Nov. – before Christmas
- Block 3: 7 Jan. – mid-Feb.
- Block 4: Mid Feb. – late March
- Block 5: 1 April – mid-May
- Block 6: Mid-May – mid-June
- Block 7: Mid June – mid-July
- Summer: July/August
- Block 8: Late Aug. – late Sep.
Studying in Germany made me participate in the social life of a country that was new for me. It changed my way of thinking and opened my horizons to possibilities which I had never contemplated, prompting me to aspire to more.