Have you received your final letter of admission? Then it's time to plan your studies at SRH University Heidelberg.
Obtaining a visa is one of the most important first steps for prospective students from abroad. Whether you need a visa or not depends on which country you come from. Please note that the visa process can be long, so make sure you start the application process as soon as possible.
As a student in Germany, you are required to have health insurance. Without proof of coverage, no German university will be able to enrol you.
Please check to see which of the following situations apply to you:
- You are a resident of an EU country or of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or Macedonia, and are insured at home. In this case, your medical insurance probably covers your stay in Germany. Germany has signed social insurance agreements with these countries to ensure cross-border coverage. With your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you are also insured in Germany. Please check with your insurance provider to be sure. You will need to send your policy to a German public company for them to check it and give you an exception letter.
- You are a citizen of a non-EU country and you are insured in your home country, but not covered for travel abroad. In this case, you must buy insurance from one of the statutory medical insurance companies in Germany (e.g. AOK, BEK, BKK, DAK, IKK, KKH, TK). Doctors charge the insurer directly for any medical treatment you receive. Insurance for students currently costs about €110 per month. Although all statutory insurance policies cost the same, it is worthwhile to compare services and payment options offered by the various insurers.
- You are a citizen of a non-EU country, and you have sufficient medical coverage in your home country for international travel or study. If so, you may be exempt from obligatory student insurance. Be sure to bring your proof of insurance with you.
If you plan to fly to Germany, Frankfurt Airport is usually the best choice. There is a very good train connection to Heidelberg (about 80 kilometres south of Frankfurt), or you may want to use private shuttle services.
- Arrival by train: Frankfurt Airport Station to Heidelberg Central Station. Tickets are available at automatic ticket machines in the station or online at bahn.de. The price is approx. € 25 one-way.
- Arrival by shuttle service to Heidelberg city centre: You should book your seat in advance, and be prepared to pay the fare in cash.
- Arrival by shuttle service door to door: This option must be booked 48 hours in advance, and again, be prepared to pay the fare in cash.
- Arrival by Flixbus: This must be booked in advance as there are limited buses.
Living and studying in a foreign country and discovering an unknown culture may be a challenge at first. But you will overcome the culture shock: learn some German, try German bread, go to some traditional festivities, and travel to get to know your new home!
The International Office will organise a Mandatory Orientation Session during your first week, providing you with some social and cultural advice and connecting you with other SRH students. And we will be there to assist you with formalities or any problems you may encounter.